Home » Home » FAQs


Know Your Rights

Know Your Rights 2018
Question We’re way behind with our mortgage and can’t pay our other bills either. We’re afraid that the bank will take our home – they keep sending us letters. What can we do?


You can contact MABS, the Money Advice and Budgeting Service, to get help under the scheme of aid and advice for borrowers in home mortgage arrears. Contact the MABS Helpline: 0761 07 2000 (9am - 8pm, Mon - Fri) or your local MABS office.

This scheme is part of Abhaile, the national Mortgage Arrears Resolution Service. It provides a range of services to help you to deal with your situation, including financial advice, legal advice and insolvency advice.

Abhaile is coordinated by the Departments of Justice and Equality, and Employment Affairs and Social Protection. It is operated by MABS along with the Insolvency Service of Ireland (ISI), the Legal Aid Board and the Citizens Information Board. Panels of qualified and regulated professionals provide services under Abhaile.

You will qualify for advice and assistance under Abhaile if:

You are insolvent – this means that you are unable to pay your debts in full as they fall due and

You are in mortgage arrears on your home and

You are at risk of losing your home (for example, if your mortgage lender has initiated repossession proceedings or indicated that they plan to do so; if they have said that they consider you to be non-cooperating; or if they have asked you to consider selling or surrendering your home) and

The costs of staying in your home are proportionate to your reasonable accommodation needs

You can contact MABS to check if you are eligible for Abhaile (as eligibility is decided case by case). Read more about Abhaile on mabs.ie.

Further information is available from the Citizens Information Centre below.

Know Your Rights has been compiled by ………………………… Citizens Information Service which provides a free and confidential service to the public. Tel: ……………. Address: ………………………………………………..

Information is also available online at citizensinformation.ie and from the Citizens Information Phone Service, 0761 07 4000.

Know Your Rights 2018
Question How are charities regulated in Ireland?


The Charities Regulatory Authority (Charities Regulator) regulates charities in Ireland. It maintains a public register of charities and monitors their compliance with the Charities Act 2009. This Act sets out what an organisation must do to be recognised as a charity and the legal obligations for operating as a charity in Ireland.

To be considered a charity, an organisation must:

Operate in the Republic of Ireland (though its target group can be elsewhere)

Exist for a charitable purpose and exclusively promote this purpose (a charitable purpose is a goal that is of public benefit)

Not be an excluded body (such as a trade union, chamber of commerce etc.)

The organisation must first give the Regulator information about itself, so the Regulator can assess if it meets the requirements to be a charity. If the Regulator approves the application, it awards the organisation charitable status, gives it a Registered Charity Number and lists it on the charities register. You can search the charities register on charitiesregister.ie.

It is an offence for an organisation to describe itself as a charity and carry out charitable activities, if it is not registered with the Charities Regulator.

The Regulator can appoint an inspector to investigate a charity’s affairs. The charity and its trustees must co-operate fully and give the inspector all the relevant accounts and documents.

The Regulator can choose to take a charity off the register – for example, if it fails to comply with its financial obligations or give the Regulator the information it requires.

If you are concerned about a charity or its activities, you can raise a concern with the Charities Regulator.

Further information is available from the Citizens Information Centre below.

Know Your Rights has been compiled by ………………………… Citizens Information Service which provides a free and confidential service to the public. Tel: ……………. Address: ………………………………………………..

Information is also available online at citizensinformation.ie and from the Citizens Information Phone Service, 0761 07 4000.

Know Your Rights November 2018
Question I am a full-time carer for my mother. I don’t qualify for a medical card but I’ve heard that a GP visit card for carers is now available. How do I apply to get one?


The rules for GP visit cards have changed. Now everyone who is getting Carer’s Benefit or Carer’s Allowance, at full rate or half rate, is eligible for a GP visit card.

To get the GP visit card, you complete the registration form for carers. The form does not ask for information about your income – just your personal and contact details. You also need to get the form signed by your GP. You must choose your GP from the list of participating GPs.

You can get a registration form, and the list of participating GPs, on medicalcard.ie or by calling LoCall 1890 252 919. You can also register for the card online at medicalcard.ie.

When you have a GP visit card, you can visit the GP for free. It also covers visits to out-of-hours GP services. However, the GP visit card does not cover hospital charges.

Prescribed drugs are not covered by the card but, if you use the Drugs Payment Scheme, there is a limit on how much you have to pay for prescriptions each month. At present, you pay a maximum of €134 in a calendar month for approved prescribed drugs and medicines for use by yourself and your family in that month.

You can download an application form for the Drugs Payment Scheme from the Health Service Executive (HSE) website, hse.ie, or you can get an application form from your pharmacy or Local Health Office.

Further information is available from the Citizens Information Centre below.

Know Your Rights has been compiled by ………………………… Citizens Information Service which provides a free and confidential service to the public. Tel: ……………. Address: ………………………………………………..

Information is also available online at citizensinformation.ie and from the Citizens Information Phone Service, 0761 07 4000.

Know Your Rights November 2018
Question I am planning to get married and need my birth certificate to give notice. I can’t find it. How and where do I get a new one?


If you plan to get married in Ireland, you must give 3 months’ notice. To do this, you need to book a marriage notification appointment at a civil registration service. You need to bring certain documents with you to this appointment, including a full standard birth certificate and a copy of this certificate.

You can apply for a birth, marriage or death certificate, or copies of these certificates, online, by email, by post or in person at a civil registration office or the General Register Office. There is a €20 fee for issuing birth, marriage and death certificates. There is a €4 fee for each photocopy requested (however, you can make copies of certificates yourself).

You can apply for a birth, marriage or death certificate online at lifeevents.hse.ie. You can also apply in person to any civil registration service. Contact details for civil registration services are on hse.ie.

If you wish to apply by post, you should complete an Application for certificate of Birth/Death/Marriage/Adoption/Civil Partnership (available online and at civil registration service offices) and send it to the Office of the Registrar General, Government Offices, Convent Road, Roscommon.

To apply for a certificate by email, you will need to download an Email Application for certificate of Birth/Death/Marriage/Adoption/Civil Partnership, complete the required details and email the form to GROonlinepayments@groireland.ie. When the General Register Office receives your email application, it will email you a secure payment link, allowing you to pay the fee using a debit or credit card. Certificates are printed on secure paper and must be posted.

There is more information available on welfare.ie.

Further information is available from the Citizens Information Centre below.

Know Your Rights has been compiled by ………………………… Citizens Information Service which provides a free and confidential service to the public. Tel: ……………. Address: ………………………………………………..

Information is also available online at citizensinformation.ie and from the Citizens Information Phone Service, 0761 07 4000.

Know Your Rights
My four-year-old son is starting primary school in September. My only income is my One-Parent Family Payment and €120 from a part-time job. I don’t get any maintenance and I’m worried about the extra costs involved in sending my son to school. What help c

As you are getting a social welfare payment, you may be entitled to the Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance (BSCFA) which can help with back-to-school expenses. Your weekly income must be below a certain level.

You are currently getting a One-Parent Family Payment of €229.80 (including a child payment) and earning €120. Your weekly income of €349.80 is below the income limit of €425.10 for a lone parent with one child so you qualify for BSCFA. In 2018, the payment is €125 for a qualified child aged 4–11.

The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection pays BSCFA automatically in many cases. If you haven’t received a letter from the Department by mid-July, you need to apply by 30 September 2018.

Application forms are available on welfare.ie, or from your local Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office. You can also request a form by texting ‘Form BTSCFA’ followed by your name and address to 51909 or by emailing the Department at BSCFA@welfare.ie.

The Department of Education and Skills runs a School Books Grant Scheme which is available to State-funded schools to help with the cost of school books. Some schools run a Textbook Rental Scheme or can help with the cost of buying textbooks. You should contact the principal of your son’s school to find out if any of these options are available.

Know Your Rights
Our neighbours often have noisy parties that keep us awake at night. We don’t really want to call the Gardaí – what else can we do?

Noise nuisance can be a frustrating problem, especially if your family’s sleep is disturbed. You should first talk to your neighbours about the noise and explain how it is affecting your family. Keep a note of these discussions. You could also keep a noise diary, noting the type of noise, time, date, duration and its effects on your family.

If this doesn’t work, you can write to your neighbours, giving details of the noise and how it is disturbing you. You may suggest to them that you will take legal action if the noise continues. Keep copies of your communication with them.

If your neighbours are private tenants, they are not allowed to engage in anti-social behaviour – this includes persistent noise that interrupts the peace of other homes. You can complain directly to the landlord if you do not get a satisfactory response from the tenants. You can also complain to the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) if the landlord does not deal with the problem. (The landlord must be registered with the Residential Tenancies Board.)

Tenants of local authority housing must also avoid any nuisance (including noise) to other people in the neighbourhood. If the noise persists, the tenants are in breach of their tenancy agreement and the local authority can take steps to enforce the terms of the agreement.

If the noise continues to be a problem, you could check if there are mediation services available in your area to help you resolve the dispute. You can also file a complaint in the District Court. At least seven days before the date for the hearing of your case, you must serve notice on your neighbours, using the Environmental Protection Agency Act 1992 - noise form of notice. If the court finds in your favour, it can order your neighbours to take measures to prevent or limit the noise.

Further information is available from the Citizens Information Centre below.

Know Your Rights
I am a pensioner living alone. I used to get an allowance towards my telephone bill, but it stopped a few years ago. I heard it might be coming back – is this true?

The allowance you used to get was the Telephone Allowance, which was a monthly payment towards your mobile phone or landline and was part of the Household Benefits Package. This payment was discontinued in January 2014.

What you may have heard about is the new Telephone Support Allowance (TSA). The TSA is a weekly payment from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP) which aims to help with the cost of communications and/or home alert systems for people who live alone and have limited means.

To qualify for the TSA, you must be getting both the Living Alone Increase and the Fuel Allowance along with another social welfare payment such as the State Pension. Since the week of 4 June 2018, the TSA has been paid automatically to people who qualify. There is no application form and you do not need to contact the DEASP to apply.

The TSA is a payment of €2.50 a week. It is paid in addition to your weekly social welfare payment.

If you believe you should qualify for the TSA but have not been getting it since 4 June, contact the DEASP section that pays your main pension or benefit. You can find these contact details on welfare.ie

Know Your Rights
My daughter is leaving school and she is thinking about doing an apprenticeship. How can she qualify for an apprenticeship and how much are apprentices paid?

An apprenticeship is the recognised way that people are trained in a craft trade or profession. It involves both training on-the-job with an employer and training off-the-job in an education centre.

To be eligible for an apprenticeship, your daughter must be at least 16 and should have at least a grade D in five subjects in the Junior Cert. However, some employers may only take on an apprentice with higher qualifications or may have other requirements. If your daughter doesn’t have the required qualifications, she might still be able to do an apprenticeship – she should check with her local Education and Training Board (ETB).

Traditional craft apprenticeships include construction, electrical engineering and motor sectors. For example, there are apprenticeships in carpentry, plumbing, car mechanics and electrical trades. This type of apprenticeship usually lasts for four years. Your daughter should contact the apprenticeship section of her local ETB.

New occupational apprenticeships are being developed in Information and Communications Technology (ICT), medical technology, insurance, finance, accountancy, logistics and hospitality. These apprenticeships last between two and four years. For these, your daughter should apply to the industry lead for the apprenticeship she is interested in. She can also contact the apprenticeship section of her local ETB for information.

While your daughter is training on-the-job, her employer will pay her a recommended apprenticeship wage. If she is training in certain sectors, SOLAS pays a weekly allowance equal to that wage while she is training off-the-job. In all other sectors, her off-the-job payments will depend on her employer, although SOLAS will contribute to travel and accommodation costs.

Your daughter can find a full list of apprenticeships on apprenticeship.ie.

Know Your Rights
I am unhappy with the result in one of my Leaving Cert subjects and think that I should have got a higher grade. How can I get the grade checked?

If you are not satisfied with the mark you got in a Leaving Certificate subject, you can appeal this result to the State Examinations Commission (SEC).

Before you decide to appeal, you can view your examination script at the school where you sat the exam. When you get your exam results, your school will get a personalised application form for you. If you want to view your exam script, you must complete this form and return it to your school by 21 August 2018.

The Organising Superintendent appointed by the SEC will assign you to one of the viewing sessions, on either 31 August or 1 September. You can only view your scripts from the written examinations – not the results of oral examinations or marks for practical examinations.

If you decide to  appeal your result, you can use the online Appeals Application Service. This service will be available from 12 noon on 20 August 2018. You need your examination number and PIN to access this service.

When you apply online and pay the fee, you will get an Appeal Confirmation Form, which you must print and bring to the Organising Superintendent in your school no later than 3 September 2018.

If you cannot use the online service, you must contact the SEC for a personalised appeal application form, pay the appeal fee in a bank and get the bank to stamp the form to confirm payment. Bring the stamped form to the Organising Superintendent in your school no later than 3 September 2018.

Your script will then be sent to an appeal examiner for re-marking.

The appeal fee is €40 per subject for the Established Leaving Certificate. The appeal fee for the Applied Leaving Certificate is €15.50 per subject. You will get this fee back if your result is upgraded.

Know Your Rights
I have an extra room in my home and I would like to rent it out. Will I have to pay tax on this rental income?

If you rent out a room in your home, the rental income you earn is exempt from income tax, PRSI and the Universal Social Charge – provided it is less than €14,000 in a tax year (1 January to 31 December). This is called rent-a-room relief. Rental income includes the total rent and any money that the tenant pays directly to you for food, utilities, laundry or similar services. The income you get must be under the exemption limit of €14,000. If it is over this limit, you are taxed on the total amount.

Your home must be in the State and you must occupy it as your sole residence during the year of assessment. This means that it is your home for most of the year and is where people would normally expect to make contact with you.

Some self-contained units qualify for this relief but they must be attached to your home, for example, a basement flat in your home.  

You do not have to own the property to get rent-a-room relief – you can be a tenant sub-letting to someone else. In this case, you should check with your landlord that sub-letting is allowed.

The rent-a-room relief applies only to residential tenancies, not to short-term guest arrangements, and tenants must use the room on a long-term basis. So, renting a room to a student for the academic year or for a one-month course is covered, but providing accommodation to occasional visitors for short periods, for example, through an online accommodation booking site, is not.

You cannot claim the relief if you are renting a room to your civil partner, son or daughter, or if you are an employee and your company pays you to allow clients to use the room on an occasional basis.

Know Your Rights
I am parenting alone and getting a One-Parent Family Payment. I would like to go back to college. What are my options?

Your options depend on your circumstances. You can go back to education and transfer onto the Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) or you can choose to keep your One-Parent Family payment. You will need to assess whether it is more beneficial for you to transfer to the BTEA when you go back to education or to remain on your One-Parent Family Payment and apply for a student grant.


If you go onto the BTEA, you will not be eligible for the maintenance component of the student grant. However, you can apply under the student grant scheme for a fee grant to cover the student contribution and course fees/field trip costs (where appropriate). You can also keep your Rent Supplement, medical card and other secondary benefits you may have. If you qualify for the BTEA, you are also entitled to an annual Cost of Education Allowance of €500 as you have a dependent child.


If you stay on your One-Parent Family Payment and are studying full-time on an approved course, you can apply for both the maintenance and fee components of the student grant. If you study part-time, you may be able to keep your Rent Supplement. However if you go back to full-time education and stay on your One-Parent Family Payment, you will no longer be eligible for Rent Supplement. If you are on the Rental Accommodation Scheme or living in local authority housing, you continue to pay your differential rent. However, this may be affected by the student grant, depending on your other sources of income.


Visit studentfinance.ie to find out more about financial supports while studying.

Know Your Rights
I am 23 years of age and I live with my partner (aged 25) who is currently unemployed and getting Jobseeker’s Allowance. I am now also looking for work. How much Jobseeker’s Allowance am I entitled to?

In general, people aged under 26 get a reduced rate of Jobseeker’s Allowance.


As you are cohabiting, you have two payment options. Your partner could claim for you as a dependent adult on their Jobseeker’s Allowance claim. They would be paid their personal payment of €152.80 and €131.40 for you each week. This would give you a total household weekly payment of €284.20.


Alternatively, if you claim Jobseeker’s Allowance in your own right, the maximum personal amount you are eligible for is €107.70 a week. Even though the rate paid is less, it might be more beneficial for you because, as a claimant in your own right, you may be eligible for a range of training and employment schemes to help you into employment.


If you take up a place on a course of education or training or on an employment support scheme, you get a higher rate of payment. For example, all Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) participants aged under 26 who were getting a reduced age-related Jobseeker’s Allowance payment, get a maximum BTEA rate of €198 per week.


You can find the full list of current Jobseeker’s Allowance rates online at citizensinformation.ie.

Know Your Rights
I have a small farm that I work on full-time but the profit margins are very low. I am married with two children. Is there any State support available?

Farm Assist is a means-tested social welfare payment for farmers aged between 18 and 66, paid by the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP). To qualify, you must satisfy a means test.

To qualify for Farm Assist, you must show that your means are below a certain level. Your means include:

Any income that you and your spouse or partner have (including income from farming, other forms of self-employment and from schemes)

Any property that you and your spouse or partner have (except your home)

Other asset(s) that could provide you with an income

When you apply for Farm Assist, a social welfare officer visits you to carry out the means test.

Different assessment rules apply to different types of income. For farm income, 70% is assessed but there is an annual disregard of €254 for each of your dependent children. (The disregards for your children are applied first and 70% of the balance is assessed.)

Your means from all sources are added together to get a total assessed weekly means. If your weekly means are less than the maximum rate of Farm Assist (that is, the maximum amount your family could get if you had no means), you will be paid the difference between your means and the maximum rate.

You can apply by filling out form Farm 1 which you can download from welfare.ie. You can also get forms from your local Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office.

Know Your Rights
My partner and I are planning to get married abroad next year. What do we need to do?

You should contact the civil registration office in the country in which you plan to marry to find out what you need to do. The legal validity of your marriage depends on the laws of the country in which you marry. The legal formalities abroad are usually different to those in Ireland. For example, a church marriage abroad is usually a purely religious ceremony with no legal effect. You may decide to have a civil marriage in Ireland followed by a religious ceremony abroad.

Although you must meet the requirements of the country you are marrying in, you are still bound by Irish law in relation to the capacity to marry. For example, if you ordinarily live in Ireland and one or both of you is aged under 18, you must have a Court Exemption Order to marry. If you marry abroad without this, your marriage will not be recognised under Irish law.

Marriages that take place outside the State are not normally registered in Ireland. They are usually registered in the country where they take place. Your foreign marriage certificate will usually be accepted for official purposes in Ireland if you need to show evidence that you are married. If the certificate is in a foreign language, you must provide an official translation or a translation from a recognised translation agency.

You may require a Certificate of Freedom to Marry to get married in some foreign countries. This may also be called "Certificate de Coutume" or "Certificate of Nulla Osta". You apply online to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade for a Certificate of Freedom to Marry. You should apply at least four months before the date of your marriage. It normally costs €60 per person. However, if you apply 28 days or less before the date of your marriage, the fee rises to €120 per person

Know Your Rights
I would like to make a will. Do I need to go to a solicitor or can I draw up the will myself?

It is important for you to make a will because, if you do not, the law on intestacy decides what happens to your property in the event of your death.

Writing a will can ensure that proper arrangements are made for your dependants and that your property is distributed in the way you wish after your death (subject to certain rights of spouses or civil partners and children).

You can draw up a will yourself or you can hire a solicitor to help you. All of the following legal requirements apply:

The will must be in writing.

You must be over 18 (unless you are or have been married).

You must be of sound mind.

You must sign or mark the will or acknowledge the signature or mark in the presence of two witnesses.

Your two witnesses must sign the will in your presence.

Your two witnesses cannot be people who will gain from your will and they must be present with you at the same time for their attestation to be valid. The witnesses' spouses or civil partners also cannot gain from your will.

Your witnesses must see you sign the will but they do not have to see what is written in it.

The signature or mark must be at the end of the will.

If any of these requirements are not met, the will is not legally valid. If you want to change your will after you make it, you can add a codicil (amendment or change) to your will. This codicil must meet the requirements set out above.

You should keep an updated list of your assets. You can use a form to record where your possessions are kept. This makes it easier to identify and trace your assets after you die. You should keep the list in a safe place.

Know Your Rights
My daughter is repeating a year at college and both the Student Contribution and tuition fees are due this year. Can I claim any tax relief for her third-level course?

You may be able to claim tax relief on tuition fees (including the Student Contribution) that you pay for your daughter’s course.

Tax relief is given at the standard rate of 20%. You can claim it as long as you have actually paid the fees, either for yourself or for another person. There is no limit on the number of people you can claim for.

The maximum amount of fees (including the Student Contribution) that qualify for tax relief is €7,000 per person per course. However, there is no tax relief on the first €3,000 spent on tuition fees, including the Student Contribution (€1,500 for part-time students). If you are claiming for more than one student, you get full tax relief on tuition fees (including the Student Contribution) for the second and subsequent students.

For both undergraduates and postgraduates, the approved course can be full or part-time in a private or publicly-funded third-level college in Ireland or in any other EU member state. (Postgraduate students can also claim for approved courses in non-EU countries.)

Undergraduate courses must be of at least two years’ duration while postgraduate courses can be between one and four years. For postgraduate courses, students must already have a primary degree or equivalent. Tax relief may also be available for approved foreign language and IT courses that are less than two years’ duration and which result in the award of a certificate of competence (the fees paid must be over €315 and under €1,270).

Lists of courses and colleges approved for relief each year are published on the Revenue website.

You can claim tax relief on tuition fees using Revenue’s myAccount service. Alternatively you can download an application form from revenue.ie and return the completed form to your Revenue office.

Know Your Rights October 2018
Question I’m thinking of getting the flu vaccine. Can you tell me about this vaccine?


Influenza, usually known as the flu, is highly infectious and anyone can get it. However some groups are at greater risk of complications if they get the flu. This includes people over the age of 65, pregnant women and people who have a chronic medical condition.

The flu vaccine can help protect you from getting the flu. The flu virus changes every year and this is why there is a new vaccine each year. Vaccination is strongly recommended if you:

Are aged 65 or over

Have a long-term medical condition, for example, diabetes or chronic heart, kidney, liver, lung or neurological disease

Have an impaired immune system due to disease or treatment

Have a body mass index (BMI) over 40

Are pregnant

Live in a nursing home or other long-stay institution

Are a carer or a healthcare worker

Have regular contact with poultry, water fowl or pigs

If you are aged 18 or over, you can get the vaccine from your GP (family doctor) or pharmacist. Children can get the vaccine from a GP.

The vaccine itself is free of charge if you are in one of the recommended groups. However, doctors and pharmacists may charge a consultation fee when they give you the vaccine.

If you have a medical card or GP visit card, you can get the vaccine without being charged a consultation fee.

Know Your Rights October 2018
Question I am pregnant but I have only been working with my employer for a few weeks. Am I entitled to maternity leave?


If you are pregnant while in employment, you are entitled to maternity leave, regardless of how long you have been working for the organisation or the number of hours worked per week. You can also take additional unpaid maternity leave. The Maternity Protection Acts 1994 and 2004 provide your statutory minimum entitlements in relation to maternity at work, including maternity leave.

You are entitled to 26 weeks’ maternity leave. You can also take up to 16 weeks' additional unpaid maternity leave, which begins immediately after the end of maternity leave.

Under the Maternity Protection (Amendment) Act 2004, you must take at least 2 weeks before the end of the week of your baby's expected birth and at least 4 weeks after. You can decide how you would like to take the remaining weeks. Generally, employees take 2 weeks before the birth and the remaining weeks after. If you qualify for Maternity Benefit (see below) you must take at least 2 and no more than 16 weeks before the end of the week the baby is due.

Your entitlement to pay and superannuation during maternity leave depends on the terms of your contract of employment. Employers are not obliged to pay you if you are on maternity leave. You may qualify for Maternity Benefit from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection if you have enough PRSI contributions.

However, your contract with your employer could provide for additional rights to payment during the leave period, so that, for example, you could receive full pay less the amount of your Maternity Benefit.

Know Your Rights October 2018
Question I heard that there is a new grant scheme for installing solar panels in your home. How does the scheme work and do I qualify?


The Solar PV scheme gives grants to install solar photovoltaic (PV) panels and a battery energy storage system at your home. This means you can generate and use renewable electricity in your home and reduce your electricity costs. The Solar PV scheme is a pilot scheme administered by the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI).

To qualify for a grant you must:

Be the owner of a home built and occupied before 2011 (or a home constructed after 2011 that was built to the 2008 Building Regulations)

Use new materials and products that were not already covered under another grant programme

Use a registered contractor from the SEAI’s Renewable Installers Register for Solar PV

Have the electrical work completed by a Safe Electric Ireland electrician

Apply to be connected to the electricity distribution system using the ESB Networks NC6 form (pdf)

Have a Building Energy Rating (BER) carried out after the work is completed

Agree to participate in SEAI research about the scheme

The grant covers materials and labour, unless you are a contractor doing the work in your own home. In this case only the cost of the materials is covered.

When the SEAI payment system opens (in October 2018) you can claim your grant online and it will be paid directly into your bank account.

Know Your Rights October 2018
Question My car is due an NCT soon. Have the NCT rules changed recently?


Yes, recent changes to the National Car Test include how defects are classified and how vintage vehicles are treated.

All cars over 4 years old must take the NCT. If your car is liable for testing, it is an offence to drive your car without displaying a National Car Testing Service (NCTS) disc.

How regularly your car is tested depends on its age. The test must be repeated:

Every 2 years, if your car is over 4 years and less than 10 years old

Every year, if your car is over 10 years, but less than 30 years old

Every 2 years, if your car is between 30 and 39 years old and you are not using it for commercial purposes (this used to be every year)

Since 13 August 2018, defects identified during the NCT are classified as minor, major or dangerous.

Minor: the vehicle has passed the test with minor faults. These faults must be repaired and the car must be re-inspected by the NCTS before you can get an NCT certificate.

Major: (previously fail refusal): the vehicle has failed the test. You must get it repaired and have it re-inspected by the NCTS within 30 days. If it passes re-inspection, you will get an NCT certificate.

Dangerous: (previously fail dangerous): the vehicle has failed due to a dangerous defect that poses a direct or immediate risk to road safety. The NCTS will put a ‘failed dangerous’ sticker on it. It is illegal to drive a vehicle with a dangerous defect

County Offaly Citizen's Information Service CLG - (Supported and Funded by the Citizens Information Board)
The Bridge Centre, Tullamore, Offaly, R35 Y6Y7, Ireland
Company Registration Number: 316292  E-mail: offaly@citinfo.ie
Copyright © 2019 County Offaly Citizen's Information Service CLG